Every pregnancy comes with a rush of emotions – surprise, nervousness, excitement. But when you weren’t expecting to get pregnant, you might also add “fear” or “helplessness” to that list. If you find out you’re pregnant unexpectedly, you need to know what to do next and how to find help. Keep reading for our tips.
If you are facing an unplanned pregnancy and you live near Columbus, Georgia, call Sound Choices Pregnancy Clinic at 706-322-5024 to Request a free appointment and learn more about your options.
The most important thing to remember when you find out you’re pregnant is also the simplest – don’t panic. It’s easy to start imagining worst-case scenarios, but just take some deep breaths and do your best to stay calm. Remember that women and couples deal with pregnancy and parenting every day. You’re certainly not alone, and there will always be ways to get help.
Make Sure You’re Really Pregnant
You would be surprised to find out how many women start worrying about being pregnant before they’ve even taken a test. While a late or missed period is a common sign of being pregnant, it’s not foolproof. You need to take an accurate pregnancy test to ensure you’re really pregnant. At Sound Choices Pregnancy Clinic, we offer free and confidential lab-grade pregnancy tests to any woman who needs one. Request an appointment today.
See if the Pregnancy is Viable
Once you know you’re really pregnant, you also need to make sure the pregnancy is viable. An ultrasound examination can tell you whether your pregnancy is viable and if it is growing safely in your uterus. It can also tell you the estimated gestational age of your baby and the estimated due date. This information helps you plan ahead and tells you what options are available to you. We offer free confirmation limited OB ultrasounds at our clinic; give us a call today at 706-322-5024 to learn more.
Learn About & Consider Options
Not sure whether you’re ready to be a parent? You have a few different pregnancy options you should consider. Each one has its own upsides and downsides, but you will only be able to choose one for your pregnancy.
- Parenting – Parenting is the most obvious choice, but, it can be difficult if you are not in a stable life situation. Support, guidance and encouragement can make a huge difference in making parenting possible in your specific situation.
- Adoption Placement – Many agencies work with birth mothers to provide care and practical help during your pregnancy. In most cases you would be able to select the adoptive parents. You can also control how much contact you get with your baby after the adoption is complete.
- Abortion – Many women rush to consider abortion. However, you should be aware of the mental and physical side effects that abortion methods involve.
Consider What’s Holding You Back
Many women are scared when they find out they’re pregnant because they don’t think they’re ready to parent or to support a child. It can help to consider what you think is keeping you from being a good parent. That way you can put effort into changing those things. For instance:
- If you’re worried about supporting a child financially, try planning out a monthly budget and seeing where you can save on your current expenses. If health care for you and your baby is a concern, there is also opportunity to apply for free prenatal health care if you qualify.
- If you feel like you can’t become a parent because of your school or work Request, try looking into free or reduced-cost parenting help near you. There are a number of organizations and resources that can help you manage your Request. We offer free pregnancy education resources and parenting classes to help you prepare for your new baby. Learn more here.
- Think you’re not ready to become a parent just because it’s scary or you don’t have any experience? Remember that everyone feels that way at one time or another. You can always get support and learn about parenting skills from classes, groups, and your friends that are parents themselves.
Get Support and Help
It’s natural to look for support and guidance when it comes to pregnancy. At Sound Choices Pregnancy Clinic, you can get assistance with every part of your pregnancy, including free pregnancy testing, free limited obstetric ultrasounds, physician referrals, resources available in the community and other options for advice and help. Call 706-322-5024 now to learn more and Request your appointment.